Coronavirus workplace health and safety
In light of the recent Coronavirus outbreak, we would like to take this opportunity to provide some insight on this virus, and what safety precautions you can take.
What is Coronavirus?
Coronaviruses (CoV) are a large family of viruses that cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-CoV).
Signs of infection:
Common signs of infection include respiratory symptoms, fever, cough, shortness of breath and breathing difficulties. In more severe cases, infection can cause pneumonia, severe acute respiratory syndrome, kidney failure and even death.
Here are the steps you can take:
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands
- Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly, including between your fingers, under your fingernails and your wrists; if soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- Cover your cough or sneeze using a tissue or into your elbow or sleeve, being sure to cover your mouth; put used tissue in the garbage and wash your hands after or use alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- If you are sick, stay home from work or school until your symptoms resolve
- Avoid close contact with anyone showing symptoms of respiratory illness such as coughing and sneezing
- Increase cleaning and disinfection frequency of high-touch surfaces such as toilets, sink tap handles, doorknobs, countertops, light switches and other shared items using regular household cleaners
- Avoid sharing personal items that come into contact with saliva such as toothbrushes, eating utensils drinks/water bottles and towels
Here are some posters to help you prevent to get sick: Posters are available in the following languages: Arabic / العربية , Chinese / 中文 , Filipino / Tagalog, Spanish /Español , French / Français
Hand Sanitizing: https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/8e42-CCC2019-Hand-SanitizingAODA.pdf
Cover your cough: https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/9929-tph-coveryourcough_poster_eng_Dec-2012_aoda.pdf
Hand washing: https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/8e29-CCC2019-Hand-WashingAODA.pdf
Putting on and Taking off Gloves: https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/9134-putting-on-taking-off-gloves-oct-2018.pdf
For more information please visit the ontario website: https://www.ontario.ca/page/2019-novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov?_ga=2.75221392.326131118.1580492850-415506504.1577734248