Inspect Your Workplace!
Health and Safety Inspections are an important part of ensuring you are meeting your obligations under the Occupational Health and Safety Act. It is an opportunity to rectify hazards before someone gets hurt. However, it is important that we inspect the entire workplace. This includes the office and/or administrative facilities. Too many times we focus on hazards on the constructions sites, in the warehouse, or in the manufacturing/industrial facility.
Offices can have their own hazards too, such as tripping hazards from cords, potentially hazardous materials (toner cartridges, cleaning solutions) ergonomic injuries from working at a desk etc. It is also important to make sure that office staff receive the proper training as well.
Here are some suggestions of things you need to look at when inspecting your office:
- First Aid Kits (Are the readily available, stocked and inspected at least quarterly)
- Eye Wash Stations (Is one readily available where needed)
- Fire Extinguishers (Are they available, accessible and inspected monthly)
- Is all required training completed and valid? (WHMIS, Worker/Supervisor Awareness, Workplace Violence and Harassment).
- Have you conducted a Workplace Violence and Harassment Risk Assessment?
- Have you completed an ergonomic risk assessment for office work?
- Have you assessed occupational hygiene (lighting, noise, ventilation etc.)
- Are materials stacked safely and meeting load requirements?
- Are storage rooms tidy, safe and free of hazards?
- Is access and egress to the workplace clear of obstruction/hazards (snow/ice on stairs, materials stacked in hallways)
- Are Emergency exits clear of obstruction and hazards?
- Have you conducted an annual Fire Drill?
Safety First Consulting takes pride in helping make workplaces safer. If you need assistance or guidance meeting your Occupational Health and Safety Act requirements, please call us!